Woman, 23, killed by cannabis sweet as cops issue deadly warning

A YOUNG woman has died after eating a cannabis sweet.

The victim, 23, and her friend, 21, both immediately felt ill after each eating just one of the gummies.

It is thought she bought the Class B sweets via a messaging app on her phone and had them delivered to her home.

Officers and ambulances were called to an address in Ilford, East London last Tuesday and both women were taken to hospital. The 23-year-old died on Saturday.

Police will arrange a special post-mortem examination. Officers await the results of this and of tests on a number of recovered sweets.

Her friend has been discharged from hospital following treatment.

A man has been charged with drug offences. He was found to be in possession of a large quantity of cash and what were believed to be edible cannabis products.

Police suspect a case in which a woman was taken unwell last month after eating cannabis sweets in Tower Hamlets, East London, is potentially linked.

She was taken to hospital and later discharged. Officers are probing whether the sweets were from the same batch.

Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell warned the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged as cannabis sweets.

He added: “Please do not buy or consume these products.

“They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.

“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’ branding.

“It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.

“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”