Drunk mum, 36, who dragged cop 40 metres along road with her BMW cries as she’s jailed

A DRUNK mum who dragged a female police officer 40 metres along the road with her car as she tried to dodge being arrested has been jailed.

Chantelle Owen, 36, pulled PC Amy Greenwood down as the officer attempted to stop her speeding away in her BMW in December last year.

During the incident, PC Greenwood lost her footing and was hauled along the street by her knees.

Dramatic bodycam footage shows her screaming and ordering Owen to halt her car, before eventually managing to get to her feet to grab the steering wheel.

Single mum-of-three Owen, from Rochdale, Greater Manchester, stopped but refused to get out so had to be forcibly removed.

Tests showed she was almost twice the alcohol limit.

Owen was bailed but was twice caught drink-driving while awaiting trial.

She blamed her offending on having post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following a string of abusive relationships.

At Minshull Street Crown Court, Owen wept as Judge Paul Lawton condemned her for playing the victim and praised PC Greenwood for her bravery.

He rejected pleas for a suspended sentence and sent her to prison for eight months.

Judge Lawton told her: “These were very serious offences.

“PC Greenwood was entirely fearless as she did the best she could to prevent a drunk driver putting the public at risk and it must have been a terrifying experience for that officer who was dragged for 40 metres.

“It is only by pure good fortune that she was not seriously injured or even killed.

“The courts need to protect the police and pass sentences to deter others.”

PC Greenwood was called to an address in Bury following reports of a domestic argument.

She spoke to Owen at the side of the vehicle and deemed she should be breathalysed as she appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.

She was asked to switch the car engine off but refused, so PC Greenwood leant into the vehicle – but Owen then started to drive off.

The officer lost her footing and was dragged along the road for 40m, leaving her with grazing to one knee and redness to the other.

Her uniform trousers and boots were also damaged, and she said she was terrified of falling under the wheels.

Owen was found to have had 68 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35mg.

She was bailed to attend court but was arrested again at a McDonald’s drive-thru on January when she had 53mg in her system, and again on March 2 when a police patrol car spotted her speeding with 87mg.

Cocaine was also found in the central console of her car.

As well her eight-month sentence, of which she will serve four before being freed on licence, Owen was also banned from driving for three years and will have to sit an extended re-test.