A GUNMAN thought to be wearing a bomb vest has been shot dead by cops near Paris after allegedly beheading a school teacher with a knife.
The victim was said to have previously angered parents by displaying cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed to pupils.
A source told Le Parisien: “The victim had recently given a lesson to his students on freedom of expression and had shown the caricatures of Muhammad.”
It led to a parent confronting the teacher with a kitchen knife before cutting his head off, the source reportedly said.
The first bloodbath took place in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, a suburb some 25 miles from the centre of the French capital on Friday.
French anti-terror prosecutors confirmed they were investigating an attack in which a man was decapitated on the outskirts of Paris.
An investigating source said: “The body of a decapitated man was found at around 5.30 in the afternoon.
“When police arrived, the person thought to be responsible was still present and threatened them with his weapons.”
The unidentified killer is said to have fled to the nearby town of Eragny-sur-Oise, around two miles away, where he refused to surrender.
“He was waving a gun by this time and further threatened officers,” the source said.
“This is when he was shot dead by police. Around ten shots were heard.”
Anti-terrorist prosecutors immediately began investigating the incident, the source said, adding that the attacker was being viewed as a “suspected terrorist”.
He was waving a gun by this time and further threatened officers. This is when he was shot dead by police.Investigating source
Witnesses watched the man decapitating his unnamed victim – who was also male – in broad daylight, and close to a school.
Officers rushed to the scene after the alarm was raised and watched the killer run towards Eragny.
By 7pm, the scene of the suspected murder, and the scene where the killer was himself gunned down, had been sealed off.
Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin was “making his way to the scene of the attack,” said a spokesman for his ministry, who also confirmed as a terrorist enquiry.
It follows a terrorism enquiry being launched in Paris last month after two news agency staff were stabbed outside the former offices of Charlie Hebdo – the magazine where staff members were murdered in 2015 after publishing cartoons mocking the Prophet.
Those on trial range in age from 29 to 68, and are charged with providing logistics to the terrorists, including cash, weapons and vehicles.
More to follow…