Tragic story of woman who hanged herself after finding out she was pregnant

A 23-year-old pregnant woman with a history of mental illness hanged herself just a day after seeking a termination.

Iiona Grant found dead after an anguished Facetime call to her boyfriend in which she smashed a wine glass and threatened to harm herself.

The mother of two children who were no longer in her care was shocked and upset to learn she was pregnant again.

Police noticed bloody hand prints outside her flat before they forced their way into her flat in Neath, Port Talbot, Wales.

An inquest at Swansea Civic Centre heard how Ms Grant was known to social services and had a history of mental health problems.

On the night of her death on February 5, the police had been called shortly after 8.30pm by neighbours complaining of a noise nuisance.

They were called later that evening by a social worker, who said Ms Grant had told her boyfriend she was going to kill herself.

The inquest heard how the day before her death, Ms Grant was four weeks pregnant and requested an abortion from her GP.

Her boyfriend, who was an airman in the RAF, spoke Ms Grant over Facetime the following day.

Ms Grant, who had been drinking, was shocked and upset about her pregnancy and her boyfriend advised her to contact the mental health team.

He saw her walk into the kitchen and smash a wine glass after saying she wanted to harm herself, prompting him to contact mental health staff.

A post-mortem examination revealed signs of self harming on Ms Grant, whose cause of death was given as hanging.

Senior coroner Colin Phillips said Ms Grant’s mental health was ‘clearly going downhill’ as she was under threat of eviction on top of her troubling pregnancy.

He said that due to miscommunications she was not getting the mental health help she needed, he said.

Speaking after the inquest, Ms Grant’s mother said her daughter was an outgoing young woman who would help anybody.

She said she learned of her daughter’s death the morning after as she was waiting to be assessed for her own mental health at Morriston Hospital
in Swansea.

One of Ms Grant’s closest pals, Caitlin Bennett, 24, said she suspected nothing out of the ordinary when she saw her the previous Friday.

She said: ‘She was an amazing person and always there when I needed her. She loved being around friends and going on night out.

‘When I saw her the Friday before, she seemed fine. We were laughing and just taking silly pictures on our phones.

‘We were all devastated when we found out and everyone is still trying to get our heads around it.

‘She was as a person who was always there for everyone.’