Pizza Hut forced to apologise to angry vegan after he was served dairy ice cream

A VEGAN diner was left “heartbroken” after staff served him DAIRY ice cream at Pizza Hut.

Kori Paul Swabey, 23, said he was “appalled” when he tucked into the dessert – after blundering staff said it was vegan-friendly.

He enjoyed the chain’s jackfruit pizza as a main and then headed off to the Plymouth restaurant’s Ice Cream Factory to try its new vegan-friendly range for ‘Veganuary’.

He told Plymouth Live: “I ate the ice cream, but the toppings when I checked the bottles clearly stated they contained milk. It’s like she just rushed it because it was busy.

“This is appalling. I am outraged, heartbroken in fact. I feel like my lifestyle has been mocked. It’s a mistake that shouldn’t have happened, I could have had an allergy to milk.”

Kori became a vegan because he is “passionate” about animals and said the blunder made him feel like his beliefs were not taken seriously by Pizza Hut staff.

He said: “Even though I haven’t been vegan long, it’s still something I’m passionate and serious about.

“”It’s the fact that they have been promoting their new vegan menu for Veganuary, but the staff aren’t aware what’s vegan.”

The diner said that when he complained the manager offered him a free meal – but he vowed never to return to the restaurant.

Pizza Hut has issued a grovelling apology to Kori and blamed the mistake on “human error”.

A spokesperson said: “Ensuring the welfare of our guests is extremely important to us. All of our nutritional and allergen information is available in a printed book in each of our restaurants and also online.

“All of our staff receive specialist training, however due to the variety of ingredients used within the restaurant menu, and the diverse range of enquiries, as a rule we do direct guests to check the information for themselves through the formats available.

“We’re sorry that in this instance, the wrong information was given to the customer as a result of human error.

“We are in contact with the customer and are taking appropriate action at this restaurant to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”