Manchester Victoria Station knife attack: Multiple people stabbed by man in frenzied attack

Two members of the public, a man and a woman, and a British Transport Police officer have been taken to hospital from the scene of the attack at Manchester Victoria Station

At least three people have been stabbed by a man with a ‘long knife’ in frenzied attack at Victoria Station in Manchester.

British Transport Police [BTP] were called to the scene just before 9pm this evening as a man wielding a knife stabbed members of the public. 

Two members of the public, a man and a woman, and a BTP officer were taken to hospital with stab injuries. 

People travelling this evening feared it was a terror attack and were left shaken by the incident. 

Sam Clack, a producer at the BBC, tweeted how he nearly jumped on the tracks to get away from the knifeman. 

He said: “Just been very close to the most terrifying thing. Man stabbed in Manchester Victoria station on tram platform.

“Feet from me, I was close to jumping on the tracks as attacker had long kitchen knife. Totally shaken. This is seriously messed up.”

He described the incident as “so surreal and terrifying” and said “hope I never see anything like that again”. 

Replying to friends asking after his well-being, Sam said he was “fully shook”. 

“I’m still shaking, The guy was feet from me with a knife in his hand. Never been so scared,” he added. 

Another man tweeted: “A terrorist attack at manchester victoria crazy”. 

Another said: “No trams at Victoria due to terrorist attack #Victoria #terrorist #Manchester”. 

BTP said in a statement: “Officers are attending Manchester Victoria station following reports of a man wielding a knife.

“We received the call at 8.52pm on Monday, 31 December.

“A man has been detained and two members of the public, a man and a woman have been taken to hospital with knife injuries. 

“A BTP officer is also receiving treatment for a stab wound to the shoulder.

“British Transport Police remain at the scene along with colleagues from Greater Manchester Police and the North West Ambulance Service.”

BTP greater Manchester later added the station remains closed and officers are at the scene