ISIS ‘plotting to massacre Brits in Med hotels in Sri Lanka-style attacks’

ISIS is planning Sri Lanka-style attacks on Brit holidaymakers in the Mediterranean, it was reported.

The jihadis have been driven from their final stronghold in Syria but they have been linked to the Easter Sunday attacks in Sri Lanka that killed 250 people.

Warnings have been sounded that they are using their expertise to carry out more attacks after being freed from having to defend territory.

A memo has now been issued to British troops warning of the threat to military personnel and civilians abroad, the Daily Star on Sunday reported.

The jihadis could “target hotel locations to kill, injure or take hostage” people on the Costas and other holiday hotspots, the heads of the intelligence services have said.

The spies have reportedly identified a terrorist hit list of targets including Spain and Turkey with Greece, Tenerife and North African countries such as Morocco and Tunisia are also at risk.

ISIS inspired gunman Seifeddine Rezgui killed 38 tourists including 30 Brits at a beach resort near Sousse in Tunisia in June 2015.

Then in 2017 Younes Abouyaaqoub went on the rampage on Barcelona’s busy Las Ramblas in a van, killing 13.

The warning comes as the Foreign Office this week updated its travel advice for Spain.

“Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Spain,” it reads.

“The Spanish authorities take measures to protect visitors, but you should be vigilant and follow the instructions of the authorities.”

It recently emerged ISIS-supporting extremists have threatened to launch attacks on Spanish tourist towns in revenge for the death of British ISIS recruiter Sally Jones.

The terrifying threats surfaced in a 33-minute video was uncovered by the Middle East research group MEMRI.

The video was found on file-sharing platform Telegram and released by ISIS propaganda outlet Muntasir Media.

Earlier this year ISIS terror chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi appeared in footagefor the first time in almost five years.

Al-Bagdadi acknowledged that ISIS lost the war in the eastern Syrian village of Baghouz, which marked the end of the caliphate.

The new video was released to prove he’s still alive and to justify the Easter bombings in Sri Lanka.

Charlie Winter, of the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King’s College London, said: “Now that ISIS has been defeated in Syria and Iraq, it will become more violent outside this area.

“It’s a grim outlook, but we are likely to see more attempts at attacks, more regularly, for the foreseeable future.

“Sri Lanka was not a one-off. If anything, it was a test run.”