Mum-of-four Amy Dixon was shocked to discover her five-year-old daughter Lexi-Mai had been given a padded envelope containing pink tables while out trick-or-treating last night near their home in Shiremoor, North Tyneside.
Amy claims she had to snatch the suspicious-looking pills away from her excited daughter who, believing they were sweets, almost swallowed them.
She had tipped the contents of the bag onto the kitchen table to inspect the pills, but started “screaming hysterically” at her daughter when she attempted to grab them and put them in her mouth.
“I was screaming hysterically at her,” Amy told Chronicle Live. “Then my partner said; ‘hang on, they don’t look like sweets’.”
“My heart was racing.”
Amy, 34, took the suspicious package to her nearest police station, where officers told her they believed the pills to be ecstasy, a dangerous Class A drug.
The self-employed cleaner fears her children could have been in “intensive care” or “body bags” had they accidentally taken the tablets.
Her children – children Craig 13, Callum, 10, Lexi-Mai, five and Lucy-Rae, two – came back with the suspect envelope after going trick-or-treating with her partner, Mark Richardson.
They came back home with a huge haul of sweets after visiting neighbours in their area.
Northumbria Police has launched an investigation to establish there the tablets came from and if they’re an illegal substance.
Amy posted a Facebook live video explaining her horrifying discovery to warn other parents to check their children’s Halloween sweets.
Amy told Chronicle Live: “I have always taught my kids to share, but what would have happened if they had shared these?
“I could have had four little bodies in intensive care, or even in body bags.
“Every single possible situation has gone through my mind. It’s so lucky I found them when I did.”
A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police confirmed an investigation is taking place and urged anyone with information to come forward.
The spokeswoman said: “We are investigating a report from a parent that unknown pink tablets were placed in her daughter’s trick or treat bucket in Shiremoor last night.
“Enquiries to establish if the tablets are harmful are ongoing but any reports of this nature are extremely concerning and will be taken seriously by police.
“If anyone received a similar tablet, or has information which could assist officers, then police would ask you call 101 quoting reference 1073 31/10/18.”