Cot maker jailed after baby Oscar Abbey died in his bed

The designer of a cot in which a seven-month-old baby ‘choked to death’ has been jailed.

Craig Williams, the owner of the company which sold the bed to Charlie and Shannon Abbey, had been on trial following the death of Oscar Abbey.

The court heard that the child’s parents found his body after he got his head stuck while trying to crawl through a gap in the bed on November 3, 2016.

Today, appearing in Leeds Crown Court, Williams was sentenced to three years and four months behind bars.

During the trial, the court heard that the Abbeys had bought the bed through Playtime Beds Ltd, which was owned by Williams, 37, for £655, including delivery.

John Elvidge QC, prosecuting, said the defendant had been the ‘controlling mind’ behind the Sheffield-based firm.

The company made bespoke, MDF beds in a range of shapes, the jury heard.

Speaking about the night of Oscar’s death, Mr Elvidge said: ‘During the course of the night, he wriggled his body through the holes at the front of his cot bed.

‘His head was too big to fit through.

‘In effect, he choked to death. He was starved of oxygen.’

In a statement read to the court, Mr Abbey, 24, described finding his son trapped face-down in the front of the cot.

‘I instantly realised he’d gone,’ he said.

‘It looked like he’d tried to crawl out backwards but his head was stuck.’

In her statement, Mrs Abbey, 23, said she woke up and ‘I heard Charlie shouting and screaming “He’s not breathing”.

‘I ran to the landing and Charlie was holding Oscar in both arms.’